Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Of Cobwebs and Dust - Clearing them all out

Whew, it seems like its been a while since I last post here (heck, it even seems like I haven't been visiting here too... o... whatever... technicalities technicalities...)


Well then, what am I going to do now? Nothing of interest (to the world) that had happened since the holidays began. Then, suddenly, I began to receive inspiration(s). I don't know the source of it, but I do know that whenever I got the feeling of an inspiration, I can draw and write! So maybe I'll be a little bit narcissistic by posting my drawings here!!! Wahahaha.



Project Armegeddon


This drawing took me 11 days to complete, from the day where I got that "inspiration feeling" (dang, that two words sounds weird) till today.

A little history first, before I go an monologue about my drawing. Project Armageddon is a little short story (which was completed, but I never wrote it down due to sheer laziness). Project Armageddon was born out of another novel in the works, and is a prequel to said novel, giving reasons for the antagonist's actions. If this short story of mine ever materialized as a book, this is the front cover that I would like it to have.

Now, about the drawing. This isn't my first time drawing stuff, but due to a lack of drawing lessons, the drawing didn't turn out quite as I expected. Although it didn't turn out as I had imagined, it still turned out well. I realized that in all my previous pursuit for perfection, the drawings turned out to be distorted. This time, I just let my fingers ran. Or was it my imagination? Anyway, the two main focuses of the drawing took a very good form (to the clueless, they're the tentacle-thingie and the beefed-up guy in a muscle-man-like pose... ok, they do have names, but I don't want to reveal their names just yet :P).

Initially, I wanted to finish the drawing there and then. But then, I thought, why don't I try inserting a background into it? Well, it was a challenge for me back then, as it always ended up being disastrous if I insert a background into it. This is mostly due to my lack of sense in dimensions and distances. The background would always appear warped as I tried to emulate how horizons would be viewed in reality.

Then, I thought, why don;t I go for a balance between perfection and oddity? Taking a lesson from CGI, where the closer we try to emulate reality through artificial means, the more we perceive it to be fake. (if you don't understand, compare between big-eyed anime drawings with for example Final Fantasy - The Spirits Within). With the oddities in the background being hidden in plain sight with the emulated reality, the background turned out quite well. Very well indeed!

Initially, while writing this post, I had imagined inserting some of life's values that I had gleaned from drawing this picture (yes, you read it right. I had a tendency of learning life values from almost any experiences that I encountered.). But then, I had a feeling that this post is getting too long, and also because I've forgetten what I wanted to write down. =P


Till next time!





1 comment:

Gail said...

*surprised*

You UPDATED! Yay, killed 'em spiders and wiped away dust!

By the wa your drawing is nice :)